Central 93 LCCC 75
The Central men's basketball team secured a conference road win and won their second league game in a row with a 93-75 defeat of Laramie County in Cheyenne. The Rustlers trailed by four at the break, 43 to 39 and were down as many as 9 in the first half. The teams battled evenly till the Rustlers managed to rake the lead and build a 10 point lead with 5 minutes to play and cruised to the 18 point win. David Simental scored 25 to lead five Rustlers in double figures. Jacob Smith added 14. He and Simental each hit 4 three's. Connor Nelson played for the first time since the second weekend of the season and scored 12 points and had 8 rebounds. Darius Guinn and Jerodda Briscoe tallied 11 and 12 points each.. Briscoe had 12 rebounds and 4 steals. Guinn added 6 assists to his ledger.
Coach Brad Schmit was elated after the win, " Winning a road conference game is a monster accomplishment for this group of guys and our program. All of our success is coming from our practice habits. Each and every guy is buying in to practicing hard. With that happening, our level of play is elevating."
- Both teams played with only 3 subs and the Rustlers won the fatigue battle down the stretch.
- Central is 2-1 in league play and is now on a two game win streak.
- The win evens the series with LCCC at 10 and 10, CWC has won the last three in a row now.
- The undersized Rustlers won the rebounding wars 44 to 28.
- The Rustler defense held LCCC"s leading scorer on the season to 9 points, 11 below his average. He scored 37 vs Casper last week.
- Connor Nelson played for the first time since the 2nd weekend of the season due to injury, its just his 5th game of the year.
- CWC is now 7-11 overall, 2-1 in Region 9 play.
CWC Up Next:
Wednesday, January 19th CWC will host Eastern Wyoming College at 4pm.